Don’t panic if the left-click on the mouse is not working on Windows 10/8/7. You can fix the issue effortlessly using the quick and easy solutions given in this article.
Mouse left-click not working seems like a horrific situation. Since all tasks like gaming, typing, or even browsing need a mouse click, the dysfunctional left button impedes everything. However, now that you have found this article, you can jump with joy!
Through this write-up, we elucidate the tried and tested solutions to the left mouse button not working problem. However, before troubleshooting, let’s first diagnose why the issue occurred in the first place.
If you understand the causes behind a problem, solving it becomes as smooth as a moonwalk. Hence, below we discuss the same.
Why Is Mouse Left-Click Not Working
The following are the most common culprits behind a Windows 10 left-click that doesn’t work.
- The user profile has become corrupted
- Corrupted system files
- Recently installed apps/program updates interfering with the mouse’s functioning
- Out-of-date mouse driver
- Issues with the antivirus software
- Hardware problems
After learning why the mouse left-click is not working properly on Windows 10, let’s fix it.
Fixes for Mouse Left-Click Not Working on Windows 7/8/10
You may apply the below-mentioned solutions to solve the left-click on mouse not working issue.
Fix 1: Correct your corrupted user profile
If for any reason, your user profile has got corrupted, issues like the mouse left-click not working may often appear. Hence, you may follow the below steps to check and correct your profile.
- Use the Windows+I keyboard shortcut to get the settings on your desktop.
- From the panel present on your screen, choose Account settings.
- Select Family & Other Users from the left pane to Add someone else to this PC.
- Input the new user’s name and other sign-in information.
- Login with the new user profile and check whether the left-click on the mouse is working or not.
- If the left-click is working in the new profile, transfer all your crucial files from the old profile to the new one.
If the still Windows 10 left-click doesn’t work, you may proceed to the next solution.
Fix 2: Resolve the issues with system files
Corrupted Windows files can also render the left-click dysfunctional. Therefore, you can take the following steps to check and fix the system files.
- Using the Windows+X keyboard command, get the Quick Access menu on your screen.
- Select PowerShell(Admin) (you may use your keyboard’s down arrow).
- Key in sfc /scannow in the on-screen command line and press the Enter button on your keyboard.
- Wait till Windows completes the scan and fixes the detected issues.
- After the above process is finished, check whether the left mouse button not working problem has disappeared or not.
Fix 3: Remove the recently installed applications and printer drivers
A corrupted application or driver update might have caused the issues because of which Windows 10 left click doesn’t work. Thus, deleting the recently installed apps and printer drivers (if you updated them manually a little while back, wrongly updating the printer driver creates most problems) can help you make the mouse function correctly. Below we share the step-by-step process to delete apps and drivers.
Steps to delete recently installed apps
- Using the Windows+I hotkey, bring your computer’s settings to the screen.
- Select Apps from the on-screen settings.
- Click and Uninstall the recently installed apps, applications that you use rarely, and apps that got updated automatically a little while back.
Steps to delete problematic printer drivers
- Open your computer’s settings.
- Select Devices from the available options.
- Go to Printers and Scanners.
- Click on the printer for which you have updated the drivers recently.
- Select the Remove device option.
- After removing the printer, see whether your problem is solved or you continue to face the mouse left-click not working issue.
Fix 4: Update the mouse driver
An outdated mouse driver is among the top and most common reasons for experiencing issues like the left mouse button not working. Updating the driver is among the best ways to drive all the common issues (such as the one you are encountering) away.
You may use the manufacturer’s website, Device Manager, or automatic software (like Bit Driver Updater, our favorite driver updater).
We find it appropriate to update drivers using Bit Driver Updater as this software updates all drivers instantly with just a click. Moreover, it offers many incredible features, such as acceleration of the speed of downloading drivers, scheduled scans for out-of-date drivers, driver backup creation and restoration, etc.
You may use the below-mentioned link to download Bit Driver Updater and install it on your machine.
Within two to three seconds of installing the software, you get a list showing outdated drivers existing on your system. You may use the button to Update All automatically.
If you feel it is a better idea to update only the mouse driver, there is an Update Now tool to help you do it.
However, experts always like to update each old driver for impeccable device performance.
Fix 5: Delete the antivirus and install it again
Sometimes, the antivirus software interferes with the mouse’s functioning, falsely flags its crucial processes, and leads to problems like left-click on Windows 10 not working. Hence, to fix the issues, it is better to uninstall the antivirus and then reinstall it. You can follow the below process to uninstall your antivirus.
- Call up the Quick Access menu using the shortcut command Windows+X.
- Select Apps and Features from the on-screen menu.
- Click on your antivirus software and select Uninstall.
- After uninstalling the antivirus software, you can download and install it again from the official website.
Fix 6: Execute hardware troubleshooting
In some cases, certain hardware issues can cause problems like mouse left-click not working properly on Windows 10. Hence, below is the way to perform hardware troubleshooting.
- Launch Settings on your computer.
- Select the setting for Update & Security of your device.
- Choose Troubleshooting from the left menu.
- Select Hardware and Devices and Run the troubleshooter.
- After the troubleshooting is complete, restart the system.
Mouse Left-Click Not Working: Fixed
Through this article, we helped you fix the left-click on mouse not working issue. You may try the above-mentioned solutions to make the mouse work perfectly.
If you don’t feel like trying all the fixes, you can update drivers via Bit Driver Updater directly to fix the problem in an instant.
In case you know other effective solutions to the left mouse button not working Windows 7/8/10 issue, you may share them through the comments section.
For more troubleshooting guides and the latest stories from the tech world, stay connected with us.